Saturday, July 10, 2010

Where to start?

It's been a minute since I posted. Still working for the census. Pop culture...

Toy Story 3 was incredible, hands down the best theater experience I've had in years. I implore people to go see the 2D, the animation is worlds above Toy Story 2, which I just watched on Blu and I think even that still looks amazing. The story is succinct and perfect, with a great emotional wollop in the third act. It is, in Toy Story 1 & 2 fashion, a "crisis" movie for the bulk of the plot. The new characters all work terrifically. Michael Keaton is a welcome addition to the voice cast. Same with the lady that is the #1 fan on the Flight Of The Conchords TV show.

Pop music... I have been playing:
Waka Flocka Flame - O Let's Do It (Remix) [Ft. Rick Ross]
Jeezy - Lose My Mind [Ft. Plies]
Jay-Z - Young Forever
Eminem's Recovery album
Drake's album
Katy Perry single
Usher - Raymond Vs. Raymond
B.O.B. album
Plies - Goon Affiliated

Playing lots of old stuff during this somewhat boring summer for music:
Buck Owens '53-'64 box set
Louie Armstrong & Duke Ellington - The Great Summit (1961)
early Beach Boys - Little Deuce Coup (1963) & Summer Days (And Summer Nights) (1965)
Elvis Presley - complete '50's masters
Tupac - California Love [Ft. Dr. Dre] (1995)

Mooooooooovies:
Rewatched all Pixar movies on Blu, and suprisingly to myself, I LOVED CARS. I had never seen it, originally skipping it for being something that "looks like I wouldn't like it".

Watched the DTV Batman anime Gotham Knight. Good stuff. Way better than Animatrix.

Going to see Predators in a few days to avoid opening weekend crowds. CAN'T FUCKING WAIT. Though I already watched the attached new Machete trailer online and it is sweet as all shit, I actually prefer it to the cinco de mayo trailer, though I seem to be alone in that regards. I did lament the cutting of Lindsay Lohan from the trailer... but as one internet poster wittily responded "You can take Lindsay out of the trailer, but you can't take the trailer out of Lindsay..." On the upside I saw some new Seagal footage I believe.

Watched Seagal's Out For Justice on Blu and had a pretty damn good time. They just don't make genre movies like this any more. And all the good ones are just a bit too self-aware for their own good and I find it hard to consider them genre classics because of this. This right here is signature action b-movie stuff. As good as anything with Fred Williamson or Jim Brown. I promise. And this is the coolest William Forsythe performance this side of Devil's Rejects. I love that guy. I saw him at the DC horror convention but was too starstruck to speak to anybody. I also was just feet away from talking to Sid Haig. I would jump at the chance to go back.

Bout to watch Clash Of The Titans and The Crazies remakes back-to-back on Blu, with some new trailers beforehand... Disney's release of Tales From Earthsea, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Seth Rogan's take on The Green Hornet (which looks extremely Rogan-ified, and not very faithful to the character's pulp roots, but I will see it out of Rogan fandom... not out of Green Hornet fandom, as I know it will drop the ball in this area.)

PREDATORS BIATCH! Can't wait to get my pre-Machete Trejo on, although I hear he is criminally underused. People have been bitching about the Larry Fishburne performance too, although that just makes me want to see it more, as I could see it as being a classic camp performance. I mean the original Predator did have The Governator and Jesse The Body Ventura in two of the largest roles...

Be back when more interesting shit starts happening. Has not been the most banging summer, especially on the music front. I would actually defend it on the movie front. But sadly it seems like the modern pop renaissance of the last 5 years is slowing down majorly. Where is this summer's Blame It? I want some radio summeriness. Maybe when King Uncaged drops in August? I would totally take a new Live Ya Life or Dead And Gone calibur song to cap off the summer. So it wouldn't be a total loss. Oh well, we'll always have O Let's Do It (Remix) to keep trunks banging all over the south.

No comments:

Post a Comment