Saturday, September 11, 2010

Elvis, Ebert, and the OTHER Nolan

Well, first off, I never thought I could enjoy a made-for-TV movie as much as I have as I watched John Carpenter's 1979 "Elvis" TV event. Sure, it may be of a SLIGHTLY better directorial and acting quality than the usual TV fair, but nothing compared to a great theatrical drama. I just love all of the parties involved THAT much. I am a humongous Elvis fan (particularly the 50's) and am nearly equally a fan of John Carpenter/Kurt Russell collaborations. 2 of my 3 favorite Carpenter jams are The Thing and Escape From NY... Halloween is the third (as I am a big slasher movie fanatic from childhood). While I can't say this would necessarily be everyone's cup of tea, if you have a similar pop culture jones for the involved parties then you should DEFINITELY check this out!

More good news in the form of Rogert Ebert is bringing his At The Movies show to PBS! Of course he lost his voice to cancer a few years ago and stopped hosting, but Elvis Mitchell will be one of the two new hosts as will Christy Lemire (who I am a little less excited about.) But the big news here is, unlike the Disney version which was recently cancelled after over a decade, this new PBS version will feature the movie clips in High Definition for thos with HD cable... like me... BOOYAH! This sounds even better than HDNet's Trailer Fanatic, which I am addicted to, but At The Movies always shows footage that cannot be seen outside of the show until theatrical release, so HOT DAMN. Starts in January!

The other big news is that Christopher Nolan's more narratively talented brother Jonathan Nolan (who did the heavy lifting on the Memento, Prestige, and Dark Knight scripts) is shopping around a new crime series to the major networks... to be produced by the man himself, J.J. Abrams! Count my ass in. If you asked me a J-Nolan involved in Inception could have elevated a B+ movie to an A-grade movie most likely, as all of its shortcomings were in the script department. Not sure why the more talented screenwriter of the family got the cold shoulder on that one. I suppose that one was supposed to be Christopher's baby, but come on guys, if it's not broke don't fix it.

Sunday's classic movie at Movieland is going to be West Side Story starring the wonderful Natalie Wood. Musical is generally not one of my big genres but, like Wizard Of Oz and Grease, this is one of those undeniable greats. I also have been meaning to check out Dr. Horrible's Musical Blog.

My football hero Brett Favre was showing his age during their 2010 debut game agains the extremely sharp Saints this week... I truly hope the old man is just warming up, because I would hate to see him retire on a down note. This marked his 267th consecutive start without missing a game, so at 16-game seasons, just do the math. He is truly an iron man in a sport where lesser men drop like flies. But equally as important, my Packers are on nationally-syndicated TV for opening day this Sunday... BOOYAH. GO GREEN BAY.

Also my planned DOUBLE FEATURE OF GLORY for tonight is Boris Karloff in Universal's original Frankenstein in a nice 720p On-Demand presentation via FiOS b/w the glorious Bram Stoker's Dracula blu I got for $10 at Kroger last week. HELL YES. I was thinking of saving this for October but I just couldn't wait that long, this is going to be one great night of cinema. I will certainly throw together a few deserving horror marathons in October as the genre is kind of my specialty, so no worries.

Thank you blog world, and good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment