Saturday, January 23, 2010

Been DJing pop music to myself all morning... some cool shit has come out lately. Current favorites?

Robin Thicke - 'Sex Therapy'. This is one of the smoothest things a white dude has ever put on wax. I was thinking about his feature on Carter III where he's singing "I work at the corner store / My family's got problems - problems", and that is some pretty hood shit to be singing considering he is Allen Thicke(the dad on Growing Pains)'s son. Anyway that shit rules.

Ke$ha - 'Tik Tok'. A straight man's guilty pleasure.

David Guetta - 'Sexy Bitch (Ft. Akon)'. Best Akon song since DJ Drama - 'Daydreamin (Ft. Akon, T.I., Snoop Dogg)'. Akon came out recently talking about a whole bunch of songs he recorded with Michael Jackson that never saw the light of day because of MJ's chronic perfectionism... I wish those shits would surface in bootleg. Akon is no MJ but he has been a pretty solid pop, club, and R&B producer.

Shawty Lo - 'Dey Know (Remix)(Ft. way too many southern rappers for me to care about listing in this blog)'. This was banging back in 2007 and I pull it out a lot for an old track. Still sounds sharp enough to be new.

Sade - 'Soldier Of Love'. First new Sade album since Lover's Rock like 10 years ago, and this first single is the furthest thing from a disappointment. Kind of downbeat, but sharp and modern. The military snare drum is a nice thematic touch.

Alicia Keys - 'Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart'. This is the best, most off-kilter pop song I have heard since Lil Wayne - 'A Millie' a year and a half ago. Tiffany-esque 80's new wave turned soft bedroom R&B lament, with a high definition, 2010 aural sheen. Sophisticated modern pop.

I'm trying to get into NHL ice hockey. As a fan, not an athlete. It seems pretty awesome. I'm gonna watch a game today, and then later we're going to watch the Blu-Ray of Coraline, which seems cool and was originally written by the great comic writer Neil Gaiman of Sandman fame. It's animated in stop-motion with partial 3D or something like that?

We're also going to show our buddy Ryan the 2006 documentary Jesus Camp because he was talking about how he would like to sit in on some holy roller/psychedelic christian type church services just to see what the speaking in tongues etc. is like. I have been to a place called Church Of God Of Prophecy a couple times which encouraged fake healings and speaking in tongues, it is a real spectacle. I like to think of it as people getting off by being crazy together at the same time. It's the only thing I can think of. But if you have never seen that docu then I would recommend it to anybody, it is some pretty scary stuff that everyone should know about.

I started reading an old run of Punisher written by Garth Ennis and that shit is hilarious, morbid, and extremely entertaining. For my money Garth Ennis is the best writer in all of comics. Other writers (Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Kurt Busiek) may have deeper aspirations as far as artistic depth, but as far as me giving somebody 3 dollars for a 26-page comic, Ennis gives you an absurd ammount of bang for your dollar. Every. Single. Time. To me he is the Quentin Tarantino of comic books. There is no question of whether it will be worth the price of admission, only of how it will stack in comparison to his other works. I can't imagine a day when I'll leave the theater after a new Tarantino movie feeling like I've been jipped 10 dollars.

Tomorrow is the last day of NFL playoffs; 3:00PM will see Colts Vs. Jets and afterwards at 6:30PM is the game I'm waiting for, Vikings Vs. Saints. I like the Saints, but Favre is my favorite football player so I want to see the Vikings win this without question. I'll be rooting for the winner of this game in the Super Bowl regardless, which I'm assuming will be against the Colts. GO VIKINGS!

Awright, peace out blog people.

No comments:

Post a Comment