Sunday, January 10, 2010

GO GREEN BAY!!!!

My favorite football team, the Gravity Bong Packers, play a wild card round playoff game against Arizona at 4:40 on FOX. GO PACKERS.

Got around to watching Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea yesterday. Its a pretty good Miyazaki joint, with certain elements being similar to Disney's The Little Mermaid but with tons of Miyazaki creature weirdness. The similarities aren't overwhelming so it is still very enjoyable, think Howl's Moving Castle as to Beauty And The Beast. I recently saw Pixar's Up, and while I am a pretty gigantic Pixar fan, the various similarites to Miyazaki's Castle In The Sky (and to some extent My Neighbor Totoro) just left me feeling like I'd already travelled that cinematic territory.

Been listening to a lot of leaked material from Usher's upcoming album Raymond Vs. Raymond and I cant' wait for it to legitimately come out. Have I mentioned how much I love 'Papers'? And it's not because I'm a divorcee, it's because of the instrumental track, I swear.

Jersey Shore. I watch it. Yeahhhhh. I try not to watch reality TV designed to make you look down upon it's subjects, but this shit is mad entertaining. And actually, Ronnie is a really cool dude. I would take bong hits with that dude.

There is a fan translation patch for the never-released-in-America 1994 PlayStation 1 game Policenauts by Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima floating around the internet. It is pretty damned incredible. It's done in a kind of point-and-click, Secret Of Monkey Island style, but also has shooter and puzzle segments. The noir-styled detective plot takes place over a sci-fi anime setting and is every bit as enjoyable as Kojima's wonderful Metal Gear Solid script. MGS is one of the handful of video games where the writing and voice acting kept me enthralled from beginning to end as if it were a good movie. There's a lot of the f-bomb and chronic cigarette smoking in Policenauts so I suppose that's why we never saw it state-side.

Started watching this new Japanese anime TV series called Himitsu: The Revelation in fansubs and it is a pretty good sci-fi show. It's set in a near future when police harvest the brain from homicide victims, scan its braincells, and review the memory data on supercomputers in order to find information about the assailant and apprehend them. Of course, the brain must be found within 48 hours of death to be of any use. That's pretty interesting and everything, but the ammount of consideration of how this would effect society and how the general public would frown upon these methods, no matter how effective at locating loose criminals, is what got me really thinking. It's animed by Madhouse studios, famous for the feature films Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, as well as great TV shows like Casshern Sins and Hajime No Ippo: New Challenger. I would recommend any of those to anyone who enjoys traditional animation or Japanese pop culture.

Somebody just called and told me the Patriots are losing! If GB doesn't do anything I'm gonna be rooting for the Vikings because of Favre and what not. Hopefully the Packers will go the distance though, they've had a strong second half of the season and I think we got a change at this thing.

Awright, I'm out! Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment