Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Getting Back In Touch With Rock

Man, I have not posted to this thing in a minute. I spent the afternoon listening exclusively to rock, which is weird for me because I usually listen to r&b, rap, and pop exclusively, but for the record I do like rock music, I have just gotten really tired of it over the years because I listened to so much rock as a teenager and young twenty-something. So what have I pulled out for my nostalgiac rockfest? I'm glad you asked...

Them Crooked Vultures - Eponymous debut LP from a supergroup of Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, and John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin... WTF. You pretty much know what you're getting based off of the Grohl/Homme combo as Grohl drummed briefly for Queens Of The Stone Age and appeared on their first LP. This is solid as shit though, really well executed and engineered rock album.

Killing Joke - Been listening to multiple records as this is one of my fave rock groups but it was the LP that Grohl drummed on that triggered this miniature revolution on my laptop.

Les Claypool & Buckethead - A tripped out ass collabo LP called Monsters & Robots that came out I don't know when. I like well-engineered weirdness and this is up there with Zappa. I love these dudes, separately or together.

Zappa - Apostrophe' and Hot Rats. Zappa is still underappreciated. The lyrics/vocals are whatever, but the complexity of the musical compositions and skill of the performers leaves me in awe every single time. One of the true geniuses of rock.

Mastodon - Crack The Skye. This is getting into hipster territory, which I try to avoid, but this is an undeniable accomplishment in heavy music. A masterpiece of technique and aesthetic.

/rock

Started watching the old Vincent Price film version of Poe's Pit And The Pendulum last night, and everything about this type of classic is delicious. I'll take this type of movie over a b&w Universal monster movie any day of the week.

GF is home, later folks

No comments:

Post a Comment