Sunday, August 29, 2010

Blue Underground wants all my money

... and I am tempted to give it to them. It is almost absurd because they issue ridiculously nice transfers loaded with tons of incredible extra features of movies that were mostly less than earth shattering, but they are all things that you basically have to see as a genre fan, and which cannot be found as a rental or used purchase for a reasonable price outside of their company. And judging from the still-high used prices on Amazon, when people have these things, they hang on to them. I just watched a heavily-edited American cut of Joseph Zito/Tom Savini's essential 80's slasher The Prowler and found out the beautiful just-released Blue Underground blu has legendary ammounts of censored gore... including an extended head-exploding shotgun sequence from the final kill. DAMMIT.

I will also definitely be giving them $30 for one of my top 5 b-horror movies of all time... Uncle Sam, on definitive blu. Which just so happens to be directed by the company's owner William Lustig (director of legendary cult classics Vigilante, Maniac, and my personal favorites, the Larry Cohen-written Maniac Cop trilogy.) The guy has impeccable taste in tasteless exploitation cinema. If you thought Quentin Tarantino was the leading director with expert knowledge on exploitation cinema this guy simply puts him to shame.

They seriously have so many oh-so expensive releases I am drooling over, including some of the only noteworthy non-Leone Italian westerns. This week I plan on a Django/Companeros double feature... many are probably familiar with the first as being the single most famous non-Leone spaghetti western, but their immaculate transfer of the latter (by the same director) is the type of thing that you just have to worship them for. They are also THE go-to company for Fulci... it is just ridiculous the ammount of care they have put into restory his shit into beautiful uncut blurays.

I am done advertising for them for today, but DAMN I want to own everything on that web site (besides Cannibal Holocause AKA Cannibal Ferox... don't get me started on that and the people who constantly praise it... I'm looking at you Eli Roth...)

No comments:

Post a Comment