Monday, August 30, 2010

Emmys

GLEE and Modern Family had the great nights they deserved, but Ed O'Neil got blackballed. They never gave him one for Married With Children either, one of the ONLY sitcoms of the late 80's/early 90's that I can sucked into a 2-hour block of like nobody's business. That list of course includes Seinfeld, but few others. The other big winners were Mad Men and Breaking Bad, which many had predicted; no comment from me as I have never seen them. I am too big of a film nerd to commit to 22-hour seasons (that's 12 feature films a year, or more!) of what in theatrical film terms would be considered slightly-better-than-mediocre drama for the most part. So I prefer to stick to stand-alone episode shows when I do waste time in front of the boob tube. Twilight Zone and Star Trek are the two best scriped TV shows of all time, I don't care what anybody says. X-Files was at times (especially early on) a breath of fresh air, and I still admire the early platform of mostly stand-alone episodes but with a larger connecting plot for those who cared -- however it opened the door for gratuitously serialized television for the sake of making you tune in next week for another bullshit cliffhanger after an hour of what in feature film terms would be some "only alright" entertainment. Never have I wished a movie was 20 hours longer... not even counting Season 2 and forward. So I say Modern Family, more than any new show, deserves all its damn accolades for giving TV viewers a superior and COMPLETE product in less than a damn hour, with no obligation to tune in weekly like a crackhead.

Making my Machete plans for Friday... trying to avoid the hipster crowd at Bowtie as I know they will be especially obnoxious on a opening night of a "cool" movie... so I am planning to see it at the shitty theatre. I think this suits the mood and environment perfectly because if this was an ACTUAL crappy exploitation movie and not an IRONICALLY PURPOSEFUL crappy exploitation movie this is THE EXACT theater one would HAVE to go to see this film. It's like reading the bible with Jesus, as a funny dude once told me.

No comments:

Post a Comment