Sunday, August 8, 2010

Random Bullshit

So I had a friend leaving town and due to some schedule changes I won't be seeing The Other Guys until Wednesday probably, but at least I got to see my friend one more time. However I did make it to Dial M For Murder and, as always, the Movieland presentation was beautiful. I have never seen a Hitchcock movie look so good. The colorization really popped on the big screen, and Grace Kelly is nothing short of stunning in that one. Ray Milland really irks me throughout that movie, which is a lot less bothersome after the intermission when the narrative begins to follow Halladay and the detective. It is good that he irks you, it is in such a way that he is supposed to bother you... like the young men who commit the murder in Rope. You see Jimmy Stewart come in as this supporting character and that's who you get to root for. The policeman in Dial M For Murder is exactly like that, and I really like that aspect of it.

Tomorrow's marathon? A Roger Corman triple feature!:
Forbidden World / Battle Beyond The Stars / Galaxy Of Terror

Can't wait. That is hot on the heels of watching Joe Dante's great Corman flick Piranha today in celebration of Piranha 3D being ever closer to release. I will have to follow that up with The Howling sometime soon. I am on a B-movie tear lately. Lower-rung genre productions, especially the ones we deem classic in hindsight, tend to be a hotbed of future film talent. James Cameron's set design in these three movies I'll be watching is a good example. Plus they were using actors you just have to love as a genre fan... Sid Haig and Robert Englund are prime examples.



Oh yeah, I almost forgot... a huge song off of the upcoming Lil Wayne 'I'm Not A Human Being EP' leaked on the internet and it is sweet as hell. The song is Right Above It [Ft. Drake] and Kane Beatz is on fire with his recent production work. This one is awesome... candy-coated Southern rap of the most sophisticated pop order. Like 'Steady Mobbin [Ft. Gucci Mane]' it is a "pure southern rap" track, with no R&B chorus or sung hook, and it just has tons of bars. And yet the tweaked/professionality of the beat is on a level of quality that Madonna, Britney, or Timberlake would purchase. It is and has been a golden age for southern rap, as important a genre in the mid-to-late 2000's as funk, disco, or new jack swing ever were during their peak of popularity. I am extremely glad that an authentically regional culture can make a splash on larger popular culture in these culture-LESS days of internet-driven homogenization/globalization. Authentic, un-ironic, REGIONAL culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment