Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Damon Lindelof

I just do not like this dude. I was super excited, unlike many geeks, about the idea of a couple Ridley Scott-helmed ALIEN prequels to be released in 3D. I got an even bigger boner about the idea when details came forth that he might focus on the mysterious Space Jockey who appeared to have been fossilized in the original ALIEN. But yesterday they announced it would be written by... Damon Lindelof.

I hate this guy. To me, him and Carlton Cuse are like coffee go'fers for the better, more legit Abrams writing team of Kurtzman/Orci. Please stop giving them important work. I realize that there are many LOST fans out there that would disagree with me about their competence, but to me they are total hacks. From just watching two seasons they were able to take probably the most dazzling television pilot ever filmed, JJ's brilliant LOST plane-crash pilot, and drag the show into some pointless excersize in MYST/David Lynch immitation with very little plot payoff to be had anywhere. That they would make such small, physical, real island details seems important on a week-to-week basis seemed to imply that they had some sort of major plot importance, but by the second season they were piling up so rapidly that it became obvious to me that they were not. It was an exploitation of serialized television designed only to keep you watching. The long con.

On Saturday LOST won some type of TCA award and Lindelof had to give a speech, in which he recited the '5 most hurtful tweets I recieved after the finale'. And he credited the very last of the 5 to my man J.J. Abrams, who handed him the most glorious television pilot in memorable history on a silver platter:

"You're a dirty liar. You never knew, you made it all up, you betrayed us all. You betrayed me and I hope you rot, motherfucker."

Please, for fuck's sake, TAKE THIS GUY OFF OF MY BELOVED ALIEN FRANCHISE AND GET A REAL FUCKING WRITER.

No comments:

Post a Comment