Monday, October 11, 2010

And I was determined to hate this Spider-Man reboot...

Boy am I starting to hate seeing super hero origin stories in the theater. The idea of a Sam Raimi-directed Spider-Man 4 with Ben Kingsley as The Vulture sounded so fucking sweet. And then the shit hit the fan. Now we have a totally new Spider-Man reboot on our hands, one made from scratch and completely outside of the guidance of Mr. Raimi. My immediate reaction was FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. But I'll be damned if this thing doesn't start sounding sweeter and sweeter. First they caught my attention by casting The Redhead Chick From Superbad as Gwen Stacy (that's right, GWEN STACY... not Mary Jane Parker, but GWEN FUCKING STACY... finally somebody is sticking to the script). But now they have announced Rhys Ifans will play the as-yet-unrevealed villian. Fucking brilliant! I love this guy! He originally caught my attention in Charlie Kaufman's avante-garde ensemble comedy Human Nature, and I liked his performance in it so much I continued to watch weird ass movies he came out with like Danny Deckchair. I think this is potentially the most inspired villian casting since, dare I say, Heath Ledger. Not that we should expect such a dark, deep dramatic turn from Ifans in this picture... this picture will from all signs carry a lighter tone. It's Spider-Man. Spidey has a lot of real-world problems, but you can't really get but so dark with the character. He's no Batman or Punisher or Daredevil. He's your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. And the great part of the Rhys Ifans casting is that I can't really picture him as playing Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, OR Venom. So that most likely means we will be getting villian that hasn't appeared in a big screen movie! Even in spite of the reboot status! Brilliant! I can actually weirdly picture him as The Vulture! If the villian is Vulture then it wouldn't be too far fetched for me to hope for a Spider-Man Reboot Part 2 with Kraven The (Fucking) Hunter! Let's hope this is half as good as it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment